Friday, January 28, 2011

The Waterworks


Last April 20, 2010, the day of the Deepwater Horizon Disaster, I was taking pictures on the beach in south Florida. I looked down at my feet and put the shutter on auto repeat for the first time as the waves washed back and forth over my feet. I created a photomontage from those pictures, which I documented in “The Artwork of John Bittinger Klomp.” After that I made more photomontages based on photographs taken at every beach I visited. Additionally, I recommenced a series of mixed media paintings that rely heavily on distressed paint surfaces. I had done many works using the technique back in the 1980’s and 90’s. Most of these new works are based on water. Coincidentally all of my pastel drawings and gay themed photomontages are about water as well. So, I’ve decided to call all my artwork, “The Waterworks.”

In this particular journal, I will detail the creation of that part of “The Waterworks” based on the mixed media distressed paint technique. I began making a set of small 8” x 8” artworks because these could be done more quickly than larger works. The example above is the second of the eight small pieces finished in the past three months. I will add images of the other mixed media distressed paintings during the next several weeks, as well as larger artworks as I make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment